Sunday, April 3, 2011

Gators!?!?!

No I am not a Florida fan, in fact I don't even know which Florida school the Gators are. I do however know(from my time living in Macon, Ga) that the Dawgs and Gators don't like each other.

I am talking about real Gators. One of the unique aspects of growing up in the Low Country is our wildlife. Gators, dolphins, migrating manatees, sea turtles, nasty sand gnats, ect. As I child I always found it interesting to watch how the tourist reacted to each of those. They pay big money to go on dolphin cruises, are confused by why we have beach blackouts at night for the sea turtles, swat in amazement at the invisible biting Sand Gnats, and to my biggest surprise they go Gator Hunting. If I had a dollar for every time I heard a tourist ask, "Where do I find a gator." Ummm... any pond on a warm sunny day? Duh.... Even my husband is slightly mystified by these creatures. When we lived in Macon we would let our dog swim in the ponds. I had to be really firm with Jose about not doing that here, not in any pond, ever, because they ALL have gators. It's true, but he didn't believe me. Last month I took my residents and boss down to Savannah for a tour, lunch at Paula Dean's and a tour of the Juliet Lowe house. However, they just wanted to go Gator hunting. Really? I planned this great day for them and all they wanted was to find a gator? So, I found them a gator! You have to understand I grew up with gators they are commonplace to me. I am so confused by how fascinating they are to people. I was told at a young age "Just stay away from them." I think I was also told one of the gators ate the neighbors dog, which probably was not true but just intended to scare me enough to stay away from them. It worked!

Anyhow I came across this today as I was riding my bike. It was a good 10+ footer, just out enjoying the warm day. Note that this is a pond in the middle of a neighborhood with a sidewalk about 15 feet from where he sits. NO ONE was Alarmed, it's just a gator! However, I thought I would share it anways for all of you who may never go gator hunting.

2 comments:

  1. That's a good-sized gator! Obviously, we have them all over Jacksonville. the ponds in our neighborhood have them...the golf courses have them...the river has them. The reality is that they don't typically bother people as long as you don't do something stupid (like try to wrestle one or feed one or something). Still...a 10 footer is big enough to make you give him a wide berth!

    ReplyDelete